Although we're sad to bid farewell to to the last month of summer, The Fenway Alliance is welcoming Fall with open arms as we prepare for our annual Opening Our Doors
. The festival will take place on October 13th, 2014
(Columbus Day), and we hope that you take the last day of your long weekend to feed your cultural appetite with the Fenway Cultural District. Did we mention it's FREE
? The day is jam packed with a variety of creative activities, ranging from storytelling and poetry, music and theatre, public art installations and historic tours, to even the unthinkable -- like indoor kite flying.
The Kick-Off Ceremony
will begin at 10 AM at the Christian Science Plaza in Boston, located near the intersection of Huntington Ave. and Mass. Ave. The Ceremony will feature a thrilling performance by the Boston Children's Chorus, a Kids Parade led by the Hot Tamale Brass Band, and what other than free cupcakes from Oakleaf Cakes. After the Kick-Off, the Fenway is yours to explore for the remainder of the day.
Opening Our Doors
has something for everyone, whether you're a family of five with children home from school, or a group of 20-somethings looking for something to do with your friends on your day off. Look forward to activities like:
- Free admission to several of Boston's finest museums, including the Museum of Fine Arts, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, and MassArt and local art galleries
- Art-making activities with sparc! the Artmobile an initiative of the Center for Art and Community Partnerships of MassArt
- Glass blowing demonstrations with the Diablo Glass School
- Captain Marden's, The Taco Truck, The Bacon Truck, and the Green Bean Mobile Cafe
- Colonial Fife Music by Christopher Nawoichik
- Indoor kite flying with Kite Education and a Sociedad Latina Latin Dance Class at the YMCA
- Marshall's Farm Stand Pumpkin Patch
- Open House with galleries of Fenway Studios and the Mary Baker Eddy Library Mapparium
- Musical performances by Zili Misik, Afro Brazil and ZUMIX, Sociedad Latina's Music Club House
- Walking tours of the Back Bay Fens with the Emerald Necklace Conservancy
...plus much more! Some new highlights this year include:
- Cymbal Jungle on Evans Way Park with Kadence Arts
- Salsa dancing with Sociedad Latina
- Storytelling with massmouth
- You Are Needed community mural painting with local artist, Alex Cook
- Sparkle & Chime public art installation, by architect Jean Kim of Shepley Bulfinch on Evans Way Park
We will also be launching an OOD app
a week prior to the festival to help you better navigate the Fenway and curate activities you'd like to attend. The app, created by New Art Love
, will include a list of events by type and location with interactive maps, images, videos, and audio clippings.
We also invite Geocachers
to open their apps to explore the hidden treasures of Fenway. There may be a prize in store for those who collect them all!
Stay tuned to the Alliance website, and follow us on Facebook
and on Twitter
If you have any questions about Opening Our Doors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following is a PDF of the full press release: Press Release OOD14