Monday, March 31, 2014
UPDATE: In order to invite and accommodate the wider public who might not have access, or the know-how, to produce a video, TEDxFenway is accepting the PreXFenway Submission Form without the previously mandatory video upload. In addition, the deadline has been extended to Friday, March 14.
Got grit? Prove it!
Grit – that against-the-grain quality of fortitude and endurance. We’ve all encountered critical moments in our lives where we were presented with a choice to either give up or to forge ahead, urging the realization of a novel idea or an innovative product. TEDxFenway is searching for 2 Wild Card speakers with inspiring tales of such grit. Selected candidates will be invited to speak at TEDxFenway on Tuesday, April 29, 2014, at the Landmark Center in Boston.
The Selection Process
• All interested candidates must upload a 2-minute video that describes his/her experience with "grit" to Youtube, and must fill out the PreXFenway Submission Form. There is a place on the form to include a link of your Youtube video clip. If you have any questions about the video submissions, please contact Mina at firstname.lastname@example.org. Videos must be submitted by Friday, March 14, 2014, 11:59PM, and will be uploaded to The Fenway Alliance's PreXFenway: Grit Youtube channel
• To upload your submission, you must have an account with YouTube.
To sign up for a free You Tube account, visit http://www.youtube.com/create_account
and follow the online instructions for registration. The video’s format and size must follow the video upload guidelines for Youtube.com, available at www.youtube.com. You Tube is not a sponsor of this contest.
• Finalists will be selected to audition at a live event, PreXFenway, hosted by the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum on Monday, March 31, 2014. The finalists will be required to prepare a 7-8 minute talk for the live event
• 2 TEDxFenway speakers will be selected by the PreXFenway judges and will be announced at the end of the event
• The 2 selected Wild Card winners will prepare 8-10 minute TEDxFenway talks for the official TEDxFenway on Tuesday, April 29, 2014
• All finalists will receive a Fenway Cultural District Gift Bag
Friday, March 14: Video submissionsMonday, March 21: Finalists receive notification Monday, March 31, 6:30PM – 8:30PM: PreXFenway, hosted by the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 11:00AM – 5:00PM: TEDxFenway, held at the Landmark CenterRules
• PreXFenway auditions are open to all who are between the ages of 13-110 years old.
• Video content must touch on the theme of "grit". If chosen for PreXFenway, the live audition must be an extension of the previously submitted video. Finalists must be able to attend PreXFenway, and if chosen, the 2 Wild Card winners must be able to present an 8-10 minute talk at the official TEDxFenway: GRIT
• By providing a submission, the submitter grants to TEDxFenway, an exclusive, perpetual, transferable license to copy, publish, broadcast, display, distribute, use, edit, translate, alter, combine with other material, reuse and adapt any or all portions of the submissions in any way and for any purpose whatsoever, at any time, now or in the future, in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in any manner whatsoever and for any purpose.
• Submissions that are not in accordance with the guidelines as stated herein or are not received during the contest submission period will be ineligible. Submissions cannot (a) be sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group, profane or pornographic, contain nudity or any materially dangerous activity; (b) promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous, or any particular political agenda or message; or (c) be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group
Some Helpful Information
, Monday, March 31, 2014 6:30PM-8:30PM
A unique and fun event designed to discover fresh stories from individuals whose innovative ideas have remained under the radar. Ten individuals, selected from an open call for video submissions, will share 5-minute stories in the Isabella Gardner Stewart Museum's beautiful and intimate Calderwood Hall. A panel of judges from Boston's leading organization's and local media will select two finalists to speak at the official TEDxFenway event.
2nd Annual TEDxFenway
TEDxFenway: GRIT, co-hosted by The Fenway Alliance and Samuels & Associates, will be held in the historic Landmark Center on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 from 11AM to 5PM. TEDxFenway: GRIT will feature speakers from the Fenway and beyond--all sharing ideas of perseverance leading to innovation and success.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with many initiatives.
At a TED conference, the world’s leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes or less. TED speakers have included Roger Ebert, Sheryl Sandberg, Bill Gates, Elizabeth Gilbert, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Brian Greene, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Three major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Vancouver, Canada, simultaneous with TEDActive, in Whistler, BC; and the TEDGlobal Conference takes place each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
On TED.com, talks from TED conferences are shared with the world for free as TED Talks videos. A new TED Talk is posted every weekday. Through the Open Translation Project, TED Talks are subtitled by volunteers worldwide into more than 90 languages. Through our distribution networks, TED Talks are shared on TV, radio, Netflix and many websites.
The TEDx initiative grants free licenses to people around the world to organize TED-style events in their communities with TED Talks and live speakers. More than 5,000 TEDx events have been held, and selected talks from these events are also turned into TED Talks videos.
The annual TED Prize grants $1 million to an exceptional individual with a wish to change the world. The TED Fellows program helps world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities. TED-Ed creates short video lessons by pairing master teachers with animators, for use in classroom instruction or independent learning.
For information about TED’s upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration
Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TED
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)